Burn wounds after electrical injury in a bathtub: A case report

Sem F. Hardon, Pieter J. Haasnoot, Annebeth Meij-De Vries

Research output: Contribution to journalArticleAcademicpeer-review

2 Citations (Scopus)


Background: Increased smartphone use among minors makes our population more prone to electrical injury. Despite regulations on electrical home safety standards, smartphones and chargers still pose a risk for severe injury among users. Case presentation: We present a case of a patient with low-voltage electrical burns due to smartphone use in a bathtub. The 13-year-old Caucasian patient was using a smartphone plugged into the electrical grid while taking a bath. We report the burns and their treatment. We discuss the likely burn mechanism. Conclusions: Burn wounds after electrical injury due to smartphone use are rare. The presented case shows the danger of smartphone use in bathtubs.
Original languageEnglish
Article number304
JournalJournal of Medical Case Reports
Issue number1
Publication statusPublished - 26 Sept 2019


  • Bathtub
  • Burn wounds
  • Electrical injury
  • Smartphone

Cite this